Two groups, TRUE (Taxpaying Residents United for Education) and CUBE (Citizens United for Better Education) are working together to bring Detroit from under mismanaged and abusive State control, and out into the 21st Century.
Here are our working goals and objectives. This is a working document. Like our Constitution, it is subject to amendment as necessary.
A 21st CENTURY EDUCATION FOR DETROIT STUDENTS
The mission of hundreds of tax payers was inspired in part by a mandate community leaders, voters, parents and friends. We demand a return of our schools to local control, to be overseen by a body representative that is elected by the people:
1. Provide the highest quality education to Detroit’s children by restoring music, art, science programs, physical education, smaller class sizes, wraparound support services, after school tutorial and recreation programs and transportation.
2. Restore the school budget by demanding the State repay Detroit taxpayers the $2.1 billion in damages which were caused by State authority, which we will do through a Headlee Adjustment and through restored adherence to the Michigan State Constitution.
3. Hire and retain experienced and qualified teachers and support staff by the full restoration of salary, competitive benefit packages and the step system.
4. Reverse, prohibit, and apologize to teachers for the State contracts which forced teachers to pay the state managed district from their own paychecks.
5. Repair and restore the positive and cohesive relationship with all our collective bargaining units and the community at large that was severally damaged by the Governor and his Emergency Managers.
6. Provide advanced technical training to insure competitive knowledge,
which will prepare Detroit student’s for future industries, including full restoration of Davis Aerospace FAA certification lost under State management.
7. Protect the safety of Detroit students by the full restoration of common sense principles which were relaxed and ignored under State control.
8. Immediately and directly grant the full restoration of the same democracy to Detroit citizens which other Americans enjoy by giving parents, students, taxpayers and neighborhoods a voice in their community again via restoration of a fully empowered, locally elected School Board.
9. To protect all persons with disabilities in compliance with the spirit and intent of the ADA, which includes following the IEP of special education students.
10. Restore community trust through transparency of the operation of the Detroit Public School District and re-establishment public schools as a cornerstone of our neighborhoods.
We, as a group of stakeholders in public education within the city of Detroit, and across the nation are united in the goal to re-establish public schools as a cornerstone of our neighborhood.
The working goals of this excellent group have been affirmed and approved by Detroit’s concerned citizens, parents, teachers, union officials and others including:
State Representative, Rose Mary Robinson
Isaac Robinson, Attorney
Tom Barrow, Citizens for Detroit’s Future
Melissa Love Light, of the National BATS
Tracy Leigh of the DFT Election Committee
Patricia Dowling, DPS Retired Teacher
Thomas C. Pedroni Wayne State University
Earl Rickman, Former President, National Association of School Boards
Tawanna Simpson, Detroit School Board
Elena Herrada, Detroit School Board
Teresa Kelly, Michigan Citizen
Cynthia A. Johnson Stand Up Now
Lewis M. Dickens III, Architect
& Many More Parents, Students and Citizens. If I left off anyone, of those I have seen, forgive me. Thank you for being TRUE to Detroit’s children.
- Herman Davis, President
- Detroit Public Schools Board of Education
Source: (4) Herman Davis – Two groups, TRUE (Taxpaying Residents United for…